Monday, April 25, 2005

My car tyres blew up

Early yesterday morning, I blew up two of my car tyres after falling into a big hole in the middle of a busy road going to city centre. I guess I was unfortunate because I never took that road. I wanted to avoid paying expensive parking charges if I took the road that I usually use. But I ended up paying for two tyres and expensive labour charges to the mechanics. I can’t understand why such a gaping hole can exist in the middle of city road. According to the workshop owner, there were other cases – two at least – in the past few days. And they all ended up in her workshop because it was closest to the scene. If I was riding a motorbike I could end up dead underneath somebody’s car. Based on my own quick look, I think the hole was formed by a defective grating on a manhole on the road. It looked deceiving because at first I thought there was nothing wrong with the grating. Only when I came closer did I realize that there was a big hole in it, and by that time I did not have time to avoid it. The tyres went into the hole, hit the sharp broken metal grating and went flat. Two holes were punched into each of them and there was nothing I could do except replace them with new ones. I apologized to my host for being late for our meeting.

No comments: